It’s Our Hospital
By Fran Donaldson, Vice-Chair of PECM Hospital Foundation
Recently a friend asked, “What’s happening with the new hospital?” A good question, I thought, deserving of a serious answer – although not easy in the limited space available here.
First of all, we need to realize it’s not like the good old days when a community could decide a hospital was needed, raise the money and just build it! Today, hospitals are regulated by the provincial government’s Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, and our hospital is one of four that makes up Quinte Health Care, so our request for a new hospital comes from QHC, which has declared it to be the #1 capital priority for QHC and its Board of Directors.
Then the Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) ensures that the request meets provincial priorities before it is submitted to the ministry. That process is well underway, supported by our partners in the municipal government, the Family Health Team and the PECM Hospital Auxiliary. But there are many stages to complete, and a new hospital is still years from being built….
While QHC prepares numerous and complex technical documents outlining plans for services and projecting health care needs for the next several decades, the Foundation also participates directly in the process. We are required to have a feasibility study by a specialized consulting company, which we have done. That study identified the level of financial support the community could likely contribute. So now we have a campaign plan and we will soon be hiring a campaign manager. (The “help wanted” ad ran in the local newspapers recently, and is on our website.)
The Foundation must also provide a letter agreeing to raise the community share, so community support is vital.
Happily, we have already seen some very encouraging signs.
Here is a list of the first donors to step up:
• Wellington Rotary – the first service club to begin fundraising for the project. The dinner-dance last Saturday was a great start!
• Picton Home Hardware – the first business/corporate donor to make a gift to the campaign
• Marion Smith – the first donor to re-designate her original planned gift to PECMHF to the redevelopment
• Sandra Foreman – the first donor to make a memorial gift designated for the new hospital
• PECMH Auxiliary – first to pledge a significant major gift of $1M – all from volunteer efforts
• Monica Alyea – first monthly supporter to direct/restrict her gifts to the redevelopment efforts
• Estate of Malcolm Russell – the first bequest received that was earmarked for the new hospital
• Doug and Lynda McGregor – first donors to make a multi-year commitment to the campaign, now in year five of a five-year pledge. Their first pledge gift was made in May 2014.
I think it’s clear: people in the County know WE NEED A NEW HOSPITAL, and are willing to work for it. We at the Foundation sincerely appreciate your support and will work hard to fulfill the requirements and to honour your trust.
For more information, or to learn how you can help, please contact Penny or Briar in the Foundation Office at (613) 476-1008 ext. 4503 or 4425 or visit www.pecmhf.ca.